Bail Bonds/Surety Producers

The Iowa Insurance Division is responsible for the licensing of surety producers only. We have no authority over cash or self funded bonds. If you are intending on writing surety bonds you must get appointed with a surety insurer that is authorized to write bonds in Iowa. We have no information regarding how to get started in the cash or pocket bond business. You may wish to contact the Clerk of Courts in the county where you will be writing bonds to inquire what is needed to issue such bonds. The Iowa Department of Public Safety licenses Bail Enforcement Agents. Applications are available through their website.

To obtain a Surety Insurance Producer License:


You need to contact Pearson VUE at the 877-540-5825 or They do the scheduling and testing for Iowa insurance producer licenses. They have an Iowa Insurance Licensing Candidate Handbook that you can view online at their web site.

Study Materials

The Iowa licensing bulletin states the following with regards to Iowa Laws and Regulations Reference.
The exams contain sections on Iowa laws and regulations. Exam study manuals are not available from the Division or Pearson VUE. Neither the Iowa Insurance Division nor Pearson VUE reviews or approves study manuals. The Division does not specify an official study manual. You are free to use the materials of your choice to prepare for the examination. Manuals have been prepared by different publishers to assist candidates specifically in preparing for the license examination. To purchase a copy of the study manuals, please contact the appropriate trade association or publisher.

Applying for Initial Licensing or Amending a License

After passing the exam, wait 2 to 3 business days for the scores to be sent, then go to the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR). On the home page, in the blue section on the left, go to “Resident”, then “Initial License”.

Initial fee would be $50.00