Insurance Producer Information

New or Renewal for Individuals and Entities applications are $50.00
Reinstatement for Producers: $100.00 reinstatement fee and $50.00 renewal fee, $150.00 total.
There is no reinstatement for entities; simply reapply as new for $50.00.

Print license
You are allowed one license print.  You may save the web screen to your desktop for future prints.  (You may have to remove pop-up blocker to utilize.)  Any change to license such as address change, name change, additional line of authority added will reset the print license feature so a free license print is again available.

Check Continuing Education Transcripts
You may view your course completions, CE transcript, and compliant status.

Update Email Address for Individuals and Businesses
To add or update your email address used for electronic  correspondence.  Note:  Paper renewal reminders are no longer sent effective July 1, 2009.  A courtesy reminder will be sent via e-mail 60 days prior of expiration date if your file has a valid email address.

SBS Connect  (For administrators)   Print license or check continuing education
An SBS Connect Account is required in order to use this service. You will need to sign up and establish a user id and a password. (No fee) Click here for Instructions to set up a SBS Connect account. If you have any problems with this site, you need to contact the SBS Helpdesk at 816-783-8990 or

Licensee Lookup Check license status and appointments
To check the status of a license, to verify the expiration date and/or check the producer’s company appointments. Enter the last name, first name, (or licensed business entity name), license number (no leading zeros) or NPN. Then click “Submit”.

Continuing Education Courses

Pearson Vue is the company contracted by the Iowa Insurance Division for approvals of Continuing Education Providers and Continuing Education Courses.  To view the list of the approved courses, click here.

Continuing Education Summary CE Rules & Hours needed for resident license renewal

Online Nonresident Licensing
Applications are done online at National Insurance Producer Registry.
Original or Amendment
Renewal or Reinstatement

A non-resident producer may apply for any qualifications for which the producer is qualified in the producer’s home state. The qualifications listed on the NAIC form are Property, Casualty, Personal Lines, Life, Accident and Health or Sickness, Variable products, Credit Products and Other - Limited Lines

Online Resident Licensing Resident Applications Original, Amendment, Renewal and Reinstatement Applications are done online at

Original Resident Application Requirements:
1) For individuals applying for all lines of authority, you must successfully pass the Iowa Producer licensing exam(s). (The testing company Pearson Vue’s contact information: Phone #877-540-5825 or If you successfully pass the state licensing exam, your test results are automatically electronically submitted to the NIPR online system. Please allow two to three business days before applying for that line of authority. Exam scores are good for 90 days.

Exam taken Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri
Apply Thurs Fri Mon Tues Wed
  After 4pm After 4pm After 4pm After 4pm After 4pm


2) Individuals must provide documentation for any "yes" answers to questions 39.1 or 39.2. Documents are submitted via the Electronic Attachments Warehouse linked from the online application. If documents are not submitted there, please scan the documentation and email as an attachment to Alternately, please fax the documentation to the Iowa Insurance Division, Attn: Licensing at 515-281-3059.

3) For Business Entities, Iowa requires the Producers listed as the Designated Responsible Licensed Producer to have an active Iowa license prior to the Business Entity license submission.

Surplus Lines

To apply for a surplus lines license, Resident applicants must hold an active property & casualty license in Iowa, pass the Surplus Lines exam, then submit application via NIPR unless otherwise instructed by the Division. Nonresidents are reciprocal; if they have it in their home state they can obtain it here. Application is made at If excess & surplus doesn't show on a nonresident producer's record on the NAIC PDB, a fax or scanned attachment of the surplus lines license must be submitted to the Division. Fee is $50.00.


Resident The producer needs an active license with the Life line of authority and must be Iowa Securities approved or have passed the Series 6 or 7 and Series 63 or 66 FINRA exams necessary to be approved.
Non-Resident To receive a license for the variable life and variable annuity qualification, an applicant must be licensed in their resident state or have passed the appropriate exams to be Iowa securities-approved. Apply at

Producer Mailing Lists and Reports

To obtain a report of  producers by companies, lines of authority, continuing education course terms and other various criteria connect to the  State Based Systems "Report Generator Search"

Additional Information and Resources Related to Insurance Agent Licensing

  • Iowa Insurance Business Entity License Application Instructions
  • Insurance Producer Services –Address, name change, appointments, reporting of actions
  • New Crop Insurance Producers Continuing Education Requirement
  • Active Military Service Waiver of Continuing Education Requirements
  • Application by a Car Rental Company for an Iowa Limited License to Sell Insurance
  • Application for Iowa Counter Employee License
  • Chapter 10, Iowa Administrative Code: Licensing of Insurance Producers
  • Chapter 11, Iowa Administrative Code: Continuing Education for Insurance Producers
  • Chapter 55, Iowa Administrative Code: Licensing of Public Adjusters
  • Viatical & Life Settlements Application Process for Brokers & Providers
  • Deadline for completing flood insurance training requirements for insurance producers selling through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
  • Bail Bonds/Surety Producers
  • Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 (18. U.S.C. §§ 1033-1034)
  • RIS Indvidual/Company Search Look-Up
  • Portable Electronics Insurance Limited License

Long-Term Care Regulation
Explanation of rule regarding long-term care continuing education requirements

Indexed Annuity Outline
The IID recently adopted rules 191-15.80 - 87 which require all producers who wish to sell indexed annuities or indexed life insurance in Iowa on or after January 1, 2008 to complete a 4 credit training course. Courses must be filed and approved according to the general continuing education course approval guidelines.  Contact Pearson VUE for further details and to view a listing of approved courses. The rules call for the IID to publish an outline of the required topics. The following June 1, 2007 outline is hereby published.

Annuity Product Outline

Effective January 1, 2011 Iowa Administrative Rule 191-15.72 requires all Insurance Producers selling or soliciting Annuity Products in the State of Iowa to obtain four (4) continuing education credits by an APPROVED vendor offering an Annuity Products Course. This is a one-time requirement and is not a condition of license renewal.

Suspended/Revoked License Reinstatement Application

This form is to be used only for the reinstatement of a license after suspension, revocation or voluntary surrender in lieu of administrative action!