1. The CE requirement for a producer to renew their license is 36 hours.   At least three (3) of these credits must be in the subject of Ethics. At least 18 of the 36 hours must be approved as Classroom method. (Producers, who hold a license with only Crop, have a CE requirement of 15 General hours and 3 Ethic hours)

2. CE compliance and license renewal must be completed prior to the expiration date on the license. You may view your CE transcript and Expiration date at

3. Self study credits that do not count towards obtaining a national designation are limited. Only half the producer's credits may be obtained as self study if they are non‐designation courses. The exams must be closed book and monitored. A passing grade of 70% is required
4. Only courses approved by the Iowa Insurance Division will satisfy the Iowa CE requirement. It is the producer's responsibility to contact the CE provider prior to attendance to make sure that the course has received Iowa approval and verify the number of CE credits that the producer will be given.

5. Producers must request an Iowa Certificate of Completion from the CE provider for each course the producer wants to claim  CE credits. The producer should review each certificate to be sure the provider has completed everything on the certificate and that their producer license number is correct. If there are any blank spaces or errors, the producer must contact the provider and obtain a corrected form. An Iowa Certificate of Completion issued by a recognized CE Provider is the only evidence recognized by the Division as evidence of course completion. Producers must retain their certificates for four years after the end of the year of the course.
6. Producers may not receive credit for the same course more than once during a CE term. Producers should contact the CE provider to verify whether a particular course is the same as a previous course.

7. Course providers will report attendance to the Iowa Insurance Division or its outside vendor. Sixty days prior to the producer's expiration date a courtesy renewal reminder notice will be sent  by email only if a valid email address was provided to the Division You may add or update your email address at . The reminder notice will state whether the CE requirement has been met and state the renewal fee. If the reminder notice indicates the CE requirement has not been met and the producer's records differ, the producer may then submit photocopy(s) of the Iowa Certificate of Completion form(s) to the Division to be updated to their CE Transcript. If the producer does not meet the CE requirement by taking the required hours, they may retake their insurance exams prior to the expiration of the license to meet CE Compliance.

191—11.3 (505,522B)
Continuing education requirements for producers.  11.3(7) A producer may elect to comply with the CE requirements by taking and passing the appropriate licensing examination for each qualification held by the producer. a .A producer who holds property and casualty lines of authority must successfully complete the commercial insurance subject examination. b .A producer who holds an excess and surplus line of authority must successfully complete the examination for the excess and surplus line of authority and the commercial insurance

Once passed, a copy of the Pearson Vue examination pass notice needs to be submitted to the Division so the producer’s file can be updated to show CE compliant. The producer then needs to proceed with completing the renewal application and payment of renewal fee at Note: it could take  up to 1-2 business days to update the NIPR website to show CE Compliant for any updates of Iowa Certificate of Completion form(s) or Re‐examination pass notices  sent to the Division for  manually processing.

8. A producer is required to renew their license in a timely manner, regardless of whether a notice is received from the Division.

****Producers Who Are Exempt the CE Requirement****

A. A producer who is licensed for only credit or surety. This producer need not report CE credits but must pay the appropriate fee to renew the license.
B. A producer who is an attorney licensed to sell insurance. Licensed attorneys who are also producers need to submit to the Division proof of completion of continuing legal education for the appropriate calendar years during the CE term and pay the renewal fee.
C. A nonresident producer who lives in a state where CE is required. These producers must file the renewal notice through the NIPR gateway. For details visit

Continuing Education Course Listing

Frequently‐updated list of courses approved for producer continuing education. Choose Classroom CE Courses or Self‐study CE Courses.

Revised August 6, 2014