- First, call your insurance company or agent and bring the matter to their attention. Have all documents in front of you and calmly explain your situation.
- If you are not satisfied with the explanation you receive, you may file a complaint here. If you have questions about the filing process, you may call our toll-free line 877-955-1212 to receive assistance.
- Once we receive your complaint, the Iowa Insurance Division (IID) will contact the appropriate parties and request a response. You will also receive an acknowledgement letter from the IID.
- When we receive a response from the company or agent, we will begin reviewing the information. Our review will result in one of the following actions:
- If an insurance law has been violated, we will request corrective action.
- If the insurer has not made a thorough and fair investigation, their conduct will be determined unreasonable. The IID will require the insurer to complete a reasonable investigation.
- If no violation of Iowa law is found, we will explain to you why the investigation is being closed.
In each instance, you will be contacted with the results of our findings. Keep in mind, receiving and reviewing correspondence may take up to 6 weeks.
Return to 'Filing a Consumer Complaint'